Monday, November 7, 2022

English Language Future Verb Tenses and Conditionals

Simple Future

1. [am/is/are] + [going to] + [verb]
2. [will] + [verb]
(describes an action that will begin and be completed in the future)
I am going to study English next year in Canada.
I will help you study English tomorrow.

Future Continuous

1. [will be] + [verb + ing]
2. [am /is /are] + [going to be] + [verb + ing]
(describes an action that will begin in the future and continue)
I will be studying English when you arrive today.
We are going to be studying English next year in Canada.

Future Perfect

1. [will have] + [past participle]
2. [am/is/are] + [going to have] + [past participle]
(describes an action that will be completed before some point in the future)
I will have studied all the verb tenses by the end of today.
We are going to have studied all the chapters by five o'clock.

Future Perfect Continuous

1. [will have been] + [verb + ing]
2. [am/is/are] + [going to have been] + [verb + ing]
(describes an action that will continue until some point in the future)
I will have been studying English for one hour by the time you arrive.
We are going to have been studying for three hours by supper time.

Introduction to English Language Conditionals
Formats for Specific Purposes

A conditional format is used when the writer expresses an action or an idea that is dependent on a condition, on something that is only imagined in the present, in the past or the future.

Present Real Conditional
If I have money, I travel. (Sometimes I have money.)

Present Unreal Conditional
If I had money, I would travel. (I don't have money.)

Past Real Conditional
If I had money, I traveled. (Sometimes I had money.)

Past Unreal Conditional
If I had had money, I would have traveled . (I didn't have money.)

Future Real Conditional
If I have money, I will travel.

Future Unreal Conditional
If I have money, I am going to travel. (I don't know if I will have money or not.)
If I had money, I would travel. (I won't have money.)

Original Post: ESL in Canada

Previous blog posts, education articles, links to information, education services and social media in the right side bar, 

List of education blogs below the posts.



No comments: